2.03.2011

Giselle Q&A, part II

Cecile Tuzii answered a few more FAQs about the rehearsal process, her own preparation for the role, and why she has always wanted to be Giselle.

What has been the greatest challenge for you so far in the rehearsal process?

The most challenging task is trying to make the right movements and shapes in order to give the impression of effortlessness. One inch difference in an arm movement makes a totally different look, so you have to analyze every corner of each step and position in order to do it correctly and further along the story.

What has been most rewarding part of playing this role?

I love when I can reach the end of the emotional journey of this ballet without having to force it; it’s just there. When I simply follow the story and get so into the character that everything takes place at the right time and in the right way, it is incredibly rewarding. By the end I'm exhausted, but it’s a good type of exhaustion. It’s a full journey; you go through all the emotional temperatures that Giselle experiences, and when you finish you have the satisfaction of organically telling the story in a way that works.

How has it been rehearsing with Kirk?

It’s been very nice; he’s a great listener and is always there for me. We’ve also had some amusing moments together of making each other laugh with funny faces or encountering laughable slip-ups during the rehearsal process. All in all, Kirk does a great job of playing the character and we have a great connection, which helps a lot!

At the end of Act 1, you have a very dramatic scene in which you lose your mind from heartache. How do you portray such a tragedy?

The emotion is so extreme, it’s basically like taking a knife and torturing yourself. In order for it to be real, you have to be in a certain mood, and the story is really what brings you there. I mentally put myself through all the moments; when Giselle thinks she has found her true love, then when she starts doubting, and that sequence brings me to the point where she hurts so badly she wants to kill herself. Finally she dies anyway because she's too weak to take the pain. I have to bring myself into the story by envisioning losing my own love in real life until I actually become the part. It’s truly exhausting! I was out of breath at the end of Saturday’s rehearsal, to the point where I was shaking and even dizzy at the end of the scene! Each day I rehearse I bring those feelings of Giselle home with me until my fiancĂ© gives me a hug.

What does the story of Giselle say about love to you?

True love and real passion never dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment