2.01.2011

Giselle Q&A, part I

Cecile Tuzii, one of our talented ballerinas playing Giselle, answered some FAQs about the rehearsal process, her own preparation for the role, and why she has always wanted to be Giselle.

Why is Giselle your favorite ballet?

Giselle has always appealed to me because it exemplifies the technique of romantic ballet. While it's supposed to look effortless, it’s actually very challenging in every aspect. Both the acting and the dancing involves much more than you might think.

How long has Giselle been your dream role?

The first time we ever approached it was in variation class while I was a ballet student in Monte Carlo. We used the material from Giselle for exams, and I also had the chance to perform the role of “Myrtha” (the Queen of the Wilis) when I was graduating at 18 years old. I fell in love with the story, all the characters, and everything that you have to portray without much movement. I loved being able to see the principle roles performed by professional dancers when I was young, and ever since then I had always been hoping to have a chance to be Giselle.

How many pairs of Pointe shoes have you been going through each of these grueling rehearsal weeks?

I actually have only been using 1-2 pairs per week. As Giselle, you jump a lot, but you’re not supposed to make noise. It’s all about articulating your feet, which is easier when your shoes are softer.

What do you do on your own outside of rehearsal to prepare yourself for this role? How do you remember all of that choreography?

I use my iPod a lot. If you just listen to the music [Adolphe Adam], it tells you the story. Sometimes I just sit on the couch and close my eyes and envision myself being there, doing the steps, and being the character. I also go through all the notes and corrections that our Ballet Master, Malcolm Burn, gives me.

What has been most helpful in preparing you for the performance?

Working with Malcolm is so amazing. He has so much knowledge, not only because he has danced in Giselle, but because he has researched so much prior to our rehearsal process. You have to enter that character in order for it to be believable. He gives me the exact text so precisely that it makes it easy to just act it, which is exactly what you need because there’s no space for doubt in this ballet.

Who is Giselle; what is she like, in your interpretation?

She is a very genuine person, a true friend to others, and a loving daughter. She has an irresistible honesty about her; because she is just herself. I see her as doing everything with a full heart, because she has never been hurt yet. In Act 2, her character doesn’t change. She is such a good person that she forgives Albrecht, still loves him even more, and actually saves him after all that he has done to her. She demonstrates true love and beyond.

Cecile answered a few more questions for us that we'll post tomorrow! Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment