7.19.2010

A final update from Asheville...

SHOWTIME!! After many long, tiring weeks of rehearsal we were definitely ready and pumped up for performance week.

We arrived at the Diane Wortham Theatre last Tuesday morning, took class and then spaced and teched each piece so that we were ready for a dress rehearsal on Wednesday. The stage is quite hard and my shins definitely felt it by the end of the week (shin splints are a painful, but common muscle strain. For dancers this condition is often caused by the impact of dancing on hard surfaces).

The lighting and costumes for Clowns and Others were exactly how I imagined as we rehearsed...very colorful, full of personality, and quite fitting to each seperate clown and their character. It's all so much fun!

Heather's piece Second Line went very well. At the last minute, one of the other female dancers was injured, so I had to go in for her pas de deux! Luckily we found plenty of time to rehearse and I felt confident and excited dancing the part. My partner, Jon Uplegar from Nashville Ballet, was so strong in the partnering and he really supported me throughout the duet.

Rite of Spring turned out really amazing. The ballet contains quite possibly the most amazing female solo that I have ever seen. At the end of the ballet she dips her hair and body in white paint before becoming the chosen one to die. The ballet was very large and very much an ensemble piece and everyone really came together throughout the week to bring the piece up to it's dramatic potential.

The dancers I met here in Asheville are amazing, I really have met some life-long friends because we all became very close over these past weeks and through these shared experiences. I am excited to keep in touch with all of them!

Terpsicorps was
such an incredible experience. I was challenged artistically, musically and physically. It was also wonderful to be involved with so many professionals who personally worked with Salvatore Aiello and get a first hand account about his ideals and views on movement. I am so excited to continue working on his choreography this fall at Richmond Ballet!

I've also enjoyed sharing this experience with all of you! I can't wait to bring you updates from Richmond soon, but for now I'm ready to enjoy some real summer vacation! :)

Smooches- Valerie



No comments:

Post a Comment