8.16.2010

Flexing New Muscles

I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have not only survived, but also thrived during summer layoffs in previous years. Never one to relish inactivity and idleness, I endeavored to fill my summer months with experiences that were truly enriching. I am immensely grateful to have participated, along with fellow company dancer Valerie Tellmann, in the formative years of National Choreographer’s Initiative. The summers spent as a part of that program, I regard as some of the most influential and refining moments in my professional career. Not only does NCI offer exposure to talented dancers and choreographers from all over the world, but it cultivates artistic growth and maturity as well. I am proud to have, along with Valerie, introduced new audiences to the force that is Richmond Ballet, and to have perpetuated that favorable reputation over four summers in Irvine. We paved the way for future Richmond Ballet dancers to participate in the fabulous initiative, and it thrills me that Maggie Small and Thomas Ragland are now continuing the tradition by amazing the West Coast with their awe-inspiring talent. Choreographers like Ma Cong and Gina Patterson, with whom Val and I worked with over the summers, have since traveled to Richmond to create beautifully crafted and well-received works for our studio series. Both are returning this season to lend their choreographic voices to Richmond Ballet’s repertoire!

When I left Indiana University years ago to accept an apprenticeship with Richmond Ballet, (which I still consider one of the best decisions of my life) I knew that at some point in the future I WOULD acquire my degree. It has been a lofty ambition considering the rigors of the ballet’s schedule, but this summer I decided to devote my time and energy to accruing credits towards my degree. I lamented the demise of any social calendar for the first five weeks, when my biology course (which met 4 nights a week from 6-10:30), consumed not only my evenings, but also my mornings, afternoons, and weekends with considerable studying. However it was somewhat exhilarating being back in an academic setting that continued with a subsequent 5 week English course. Even though it seemed like schoolwork was endless at times, I found myself embarking on road trips with friends, planning and completing HGTV-worthy home improvements, cultivating new friendships, nurturing valuable ones, and developing new pursuits. Having a profession that is fulfilling on every imaginable level is undeniably wonderful (and truly rare), but the summer months without those experiences sometimes seem a bit empty.


Admittedly, I entered this summer layoff with trepidations, however as I look back on my summer adventures, I emphatically declare these past two months have been a wholly gratifying journey, and I’m excited to be back in the studio today for the start of the season with a refreshed and uplifted spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment